Monday, April 28, 2014

Blog 20: Exit Interview

Content:

(1) What is your essential question and answers?  What is your best answer and why?
-My EQ is, "How can Gracie Jiu-Jitsu best train a fighter to 'Not Lose' in a sparring session? My three succeeding answers are Gracie Jiu JItsu can best train a fighter to 'Not Lose' in a sparring session by giving the fighter knowledge to control the fight from the ground or the proper transitions to stand up. My next answer would be By teaching the fighter a core curriculum of Gracie Combatives. My final answer is by emphasising debriefs and reflections after sparring sessions. Out of all these answers I would say that my second answer is the best.
(2) What process did you take to arrive at this answer?
-I actually came up with this answer through all things Gracie that I have experienced through my senior project. My mentorship IS this program. My mentor and fellow practitioners have all expressed their concern with keeping a simplified arsenal of moves you will use in fights or spars and so when I learned, I kept in my mind can I use it? is it practical? Many research articles kept an emphasis of basics and the improved training with such. I then realized that from my past years in Kajukenbo as well that basics were key in order to progress to more "fancy" moves. However many moves i learned, when i was in dire need i used my basics which were the moves i was most comfortable with and in the end are what are most effective.
(3) What problems did you face?  How did you resolve them?
-Gracie Jiu-Jitsu specific research was very hard to find. As i continued my research i broadened my research to Jiu-JItsu only sources and that aided me very much so. Because Gracie Jiu-Jitsu is only a certain sect of an art that family created, i figured the research would be similar, and it in fact was. 
(4) What are the two most significant sources you used to answer your essential question and why?
-Two most significant sources would be for one the Master Text of Gracie Jiu-Jitsu written by Helio Gracie himself. In it it included philosophy and techniques that he held dear and thought were crucial to learn as basics. My second source for my own improvement would be mentorship and the interviews of such knowledgeable fighters. A martial arts book has to be very formalized and standardized in order for it to become academically understood however, when learning you cannot connect the same way you do with a book than hands on face to face with another more experience being.

No comments:

Post a Comment