Monday, September 9, 2013

Blog 5: Project Reflection and Working EQ

The Pentagon: 
(1) Positive Statement: What positive thing happen as a result of what you have completed so far?
-In reflection of my mentorship, my progress has been great. Personally, i have excelled to the highest point  have been with in Jiu-Jitsu technique and performance as i can roll with blue belts and hold my own. My instructor constantly uses me as an example and has even sneaked me into the advanced class which is only restricted to blue belt or higher ranks, considering i am a 2 stripe white belt, i say that's progress. I am  on track with my goal which is to be promoted to a blue belt by December as i am consistent with classes and always try to learn from everyone and through trial and error. Overall, my progress is consistent, every week i learn something new and as i apply those teachings i get better in training.

(2) EQ Content:  Pick a piece of research or your interview.  How has it helped you improve your understanding of your topic?
-The piece of research i am evaluating is my first book source, "Mastering Ju-Jitsu,"overall it underlined the main points and theory of modern Jiu-Jitsu emphasizing past influences and modern innovations that have made the art more effective in modern day fights and mma sportive tournaments. In specifics, i have used 4 15-20 page chapters that just expand on primary sources and accounts of grand masters and other great fighters that witnessed and firsthandedly change modern Jiu-Jitsu. I have been able to use these reads and apply the raw theory and/or techniques to my training and generally it only helps me more by understanding what actually makes Jiu-Jitsu such an effective martial art.

(3) What has worked for you so far in the senior project?
-So far, in my sortie of the senior project, all has been good for me. Many of my friends all complain about research checks or an unreliable mentor but honestly for me, i am stable. There are limitless ways to research my topic, as i can view Jiu-Jitsu from a medical standpoint on injuries, Scientific way through physics of a sport, or just through the entire sport of martial art fighting. I learned that the worst thing that can happen in an interview is "no" so i am not held back to email and schedule interviews with Gracie family black belts or even mma fighters as i am already trying to do so.  In regards to mentorship, mine is stable. My mentor is an instructor of Jiu-Jitsu and has class everyday so for that reason, applying my knowledge and being able to have my mentor available to me everyday is a huge advantage to me. Overall, my senior project seems to be on par and i aim to only make it better.

(4) What hasn't worked so far? 
-Not much has gone against me in my senior project, my interview is ready for Monday and research has been easy to find for me. The only thing that has been somewhat cumbersome is just keeping up with my blog. I want to make it better as that is the only direct way to display my senior project and that is my only way to the AE.

5) Finding Value:  
  •  What is a potential question you would like to study this year?  (working EQ)
  •  What do you plan to do for mentorship?  If you haven't found a mentor yet, then discuss where you are currently looking and who you are talking to to find it.
-My question for me has been pretty solid for my studies. I believe it was somewhere along the lines of, "What is the most effective way to use GJJ to get out of a street fight?" However the only worry is that it is too complicated, so to simplify it i am changing it to, "What components of GJJ are most effective in a street fight?"

-Currently for mentorship i am just studying daily at my instructors Gracie Academy. In it i practice my personal skills and learn new techniques of GJJ.


No comments:

Post a Comment