Monday, August 19, 2013

Blog 2: Summer Mentorship Component

1. (Know) Using google doc (drive) link a log of specific hours and a description of your duties
Answer: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/lv?key=0Au-2II2D7WyddE9pLVJDNjFRbFNkT3o1LWxVSlY2MHc&usp=drive_web
Overall my role in my studio is to learn as a student of Gracie Jiu Jitsu it is expected of me to help others in focusing on their technique and on whatever questions they may have. I observe those that rank higher than me and i learn from their actions and most of all mistakes as they most likely my own as well. My duty is to be a student but also be a teacher to everyone else

2. What is the contact name & number of where you volunteered?
Answer: I study at the Gracie Certified Training Center run by George Balares. He can be reached at his studios number, (855) 455-2454.

3. (Need to know) What questions were raised because of the 10 hours of experience?  List them.
-My only question asks what i should focus on while mentoring. Should i focus on learning from people more knowledgable? or do i try and be mentors to those that are less experienced as me? Is it a culmination of both?

4. What is the most important thing you gained from this experience? Why?
Answer: The most significant outcome from my summer mentorship was probably the ideas that i created for my senior project. Granted that this idea is completely susceptible to change due to my EQ but if it goes along the line, hey, it works! My idea is to take many action still photos or possibly even video of myself performing escapes, controls, or submissions all after a certain descriptive situation. The audience would then look at the scenario (prior to a lesson of basic GJJ) and decide which one was the best choice. It would be an activity for my component that i find appealing to the audience and interactive as well. Having such an activity will force the listeners to dissect the moves like real GJJ fighters do. I consider this my achievement because even if this activity fails i am looking at what GJJ asks from a fighter and also why every move has its own time to use. the more observant i am the more i see the details that could eventually help i. the year.

5. How did what you did help you choose a topic?  Please explain.
Answer: Luckily for me i already had an idea that i wanted to make GJJ be my senior project. This summer mentorship has helped me because i have started to see what i missed two years ago and now i see the various sub topics of GJJ from the family history of the art to the effect on UFC and the modern world of martial arts, to even the mental and physical toll it takes for your body to use jiu jitsu properly. It helped me solidify my topic choice and reassure my choice in pursuing this all senior year round.

No comments:

Post a Comment